What is a screen reader? A screen reader is a software program that enables a blind or visually impaired user to read the text that is displayed on the computer screen with a speech synthesizer or braille display. JAWS, Job Access With Speech, is the world’s most popular screen reader, developed for computer users whose vision loss prevents them from seeing screen content or navigating with a mouse. JAWS provides speech and braille output for the most popular computer applications on your PC.
- Read documents. emails, websites and apps
- Easily navigate with your mouse Scan and read all of your documents, including PDF
- Fill out webforms with ease
- Easy to use with Daisy formatted basic training
- Save time with Skim Reading and Text Analyzer
- Surf the net with web browsing keystrokes
- Two multi-lingual synthesizers: Eloquence and Vocalizer Expressive
- Includes drivers for all popular Braille displays
- Convenient OCR feature for image files or inaccessible PDF documents
- Picture Smart service to recognize images
- Voice Assistant to issue infrequently used commands
- Supports PEARL Camera for direct access to print documents or books
- Built-in free DAISY Player and full set of DAISY-formatted basic training books
- Works with Microsoft Office, Google Docs, Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and much more
- Supports Windows® 11, Windows 10, Windows Server® 2019, and Windows Server 2016
- Become more efficient with Skim Reading and Text Analyzer
- Compatible with ZoomText, Fusion, and OpenBook Scanning and Reading Software
- JAWS Tandem Center available for free to help with support and training
- Optional support for Tandem Direct, Citrix, Terminal Services, and Remote Desktop
- Powerful scripting language to customize the user experience on any application
- Kiosk support available
To use JAWS for Windows, we recommend a personal computer running Microsoft® Windows® with the following:
- Operating System Windows® 11, Windows 10, Windows Server® 2019, and Windows Server 2016.
- Processor speed Recommended: 2.0 GHz i5 dual core or higher processor.
- Memory (RAM) Recommended: 8 GB or more.
- Required hard disk space 2 GB with more space required for additional voices. Recommended: SSD drive.
- Video Video/Graphics card with support for DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver. 1024×768 display resolution.
- Sound Windows-compatible sound card (for speech).